April 2014 Newsletter
1. Irish Heritage Quebec will present the following activities at 19:30 in McMahon Hall, 1145 De Salaberry in Quebec City. We hope to see members and guests in great numbers at these activities. Refreshments will be served and parking stubs for Îlot St. Patrick will be validated. All are welcome. For more information, phone Irish Heritage Quebec at 418-704-3404.
• Monday April 14 — Daniel Hughes and John O’Connor will give a conference on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Empress of Ireland on May 29, 1914. John O’Connor will present a short history of the liner and Daniel Hughes will discuss the perils of diving on the ship.
• Monday May 5— Jane McGaughey, professor in the Irish Studies Program at Concordia University, will give a conference on Irish immigration to Upper and Lower Canada and aspects of her family history.
• Monday June 9— Bryan O’Gallagher, William Mylett, Joseph Lonergan and others will reminisce on their first visit to Grosse Île at a time when the island was not open to the general public.
2. The winners of the Société historique de Québec 2014 calendars drawn at our conferences in February and March are Bryan O’Gallagher and Henrietta Mulroney.
3. Irish Heritage Quebec’s office in the Rectory of St. Patrick’s Church is open on Monday and Thursday afternoons from 13:30 until 15:30. It is also open on request on other occasions. Please contact Joseph Lonergan or John O’Connor at 418 704-3404 for an appointment.
The following items may be purchased at the Irish Heritage Quebec office at 1155 De Salaberry, Quebec City.
For more information phone 418-704-3404