| Irish Heritage Quebec was founded in 1973 by Marianna O’Gallagher and several members of the Irish community of Quebec City. The organization was incorporated on August 13, 1990 under the provisions of the Canada Corporations Act. It was registered as a charity in November 1998.
The objects of the corporation are:
• To encourage and aid genealogical studies of Quebec Irish families;
• To preserve information, artefacts and documents belonging to the Irish Community of Quebec;
• To promote the study of Irish history and, in particular, to encourage research into the history of the Irish of Quebec;
• To encourage the study of Irish arts and authors, and to promote the activities of groups pursuing such objectives;
• To promote the publication and sale of books and articles pertaining to Irish history, arts and culture;
• To collect money or acquire assets, by way of subscriptions, public or otherwise;
• To utilize all other means necessary to obtain these objectives.
Some Major Projects
• 2006 — Return of the bells of the old St. Patrick’s Church on McMahon Street to the belfry of the Hôtel-Dieu Research Centre
• 2006 — Installation of 2 interpretation panels on McMahon Street in front of the former St. Patrick’s School
• 2003 — Organization of the visit of the Jeanie Johnston, a replica of the ship originally built in Quebec City in 1847
• 2002 — Installation of 3 interpretation panels in the entrance to the Hôtel-Dieu Research Centre on McMahon Street;
• 2000 — Unveiling of the Celtic Cross in Artillery Park on McMahon Street;
• 1997 — Marianna O’Gallagher and others host the Irish Summer to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Great Famine of 1847