The Plaque

Irish Heritage Quebec is involved in an effort to bring about the removal of the commemorative plaque placed on the de Salaberry facade of St. Patrick’s High School by the 78th Fraser Highlanders with the complicity of the Central Québec School Board. The plaque commemorates the 78th Fraser Highlanders’ part in the Battle of the Plains of Abraham on September 13, 1759.  Unveiled on September 12, 2009 in relative secrecy, with no public announcement made in any newspaper, it is inappropriate on a site that has been identified with the Irish community of Québec for over 150 years.  From 1832 to 1856 this land was the St. Louis Cemetery, also known as the Cholera Burial Ground.  More than 5000 Irish and French victims were interred there.  When St. Patrick’s Parish came into existence in 1856 it became St. Patrick’s Cemetery and served as such  until 1879.  St. Patrick’s School  was built on this site in 1918 on land donated by St. Patrick’s Parish.  See the  PowerPoint Commemoration Gone Wrong
 

Welcome to Irish Heritage Quebec